Pears are sweet and soft with a nutrient-dense peel. They can be a great snack or dessert. If pears are one of your favorite fruits, you might wonder if bearded dragons can enjoy them, too. So, can bearded dragons eat pears? They can, but not often! Pears have a few nutritional qualities that make them unsafe for dragons to eat too frequently.
Can Bearded Dragons Have Pears?
Can bearded dragons eat pears? Yes, but only as a treat.
- Vitamin K, for healthy bones and blood
- Folate, for healthy tissue and cells
- Vitamin C, for a healthy immune system
- Copper, for healthy blood
- Potassium, for heart health
- Fiber, for healthy digestion
- Antioxidants, for immune health and cancer prevention
Despite these nutritional benefits, which are excellent for people, there are a few setbacks to be aware of for bearded dragons.
How Often Can a Bearded Dragon Eat Pears?
Bearded dragons can eat pears as a treat once a month. It won’t hurt them in this small quantity; but if you feed pears every day, your dragon can become sick. Here are the reasons why:
- Sugar-heavy. Although generally a very healthy fruit, pears are high in sugar, especially for bearded dragons. Too much sugar can cause gum and tooth decay, inflammation, liver problems, heart problems, and more.
- Oxalates. Pears are high in oxalates, which cause calcium depletion. Metabolic bone disease is a consequence of calcium depletion. You definitely don’t want your bearded dragon to suffer from that!
- Obesity risk. Fruit in general isn’t good for your dragon to eat in large quantities, largely because of the sugar. Bearded dragons are already at risk for obesity when they are pets because they don’t get as much exercise as when they are in the wild, even if they get frequent walks and playtime. Dragons can become obese from too many insects as well as much sugary fruit.
What Fruits Can Bearded Dragons Have More Often Than Pears?
Baby dragons can eat fruit as a treat, but they primarily need protein (aka insects). Adults need mostly greens and veggies, but can have a little fruit a few times a week. Here are some delicious fruits bearded dragons can eat more often that pears:
- Guava (once a week)
- Figs (every other week)
- Grapes (once a week)
- Apples (once a week)
- Strawberries (once a week)
- Mango (multiple times a week)
How to Give Pears to Your Bearded Dragon
Wash and slice the pears but don’t remove the peel—that’s where most of the nutrients are.
Takeaway: Due to high sugar and oxalates, pears are only suitable as a treat for a bearded dragon. You can give your dragon pear slices once a month.
What is your bearded dragon’s favorite fruit? Do you have any questions or feedback for us? Email us at [email protected]